- How did the ideas of Manifest Destiny dominate the presidential election of 1844?
- How did the Texas Revolution lead to the Mexican War?
- Why did many Americans believe that the United States caused the Mexican War, even though the Mexicans fired the first shots?
- Was the Wilmot Proviso the first political shot of the Civil War? Explain.
- Why was the Compromise of 1850 only a short-term solution to the sectional conflicts of the 1850s?
- How was the land acquired from Mexico “a dose of poison“ to American unity?
- How did the formation of the Republican Party provide a political home for disgruntled groups and philosophies in the mid-1850s?
- Was James Buchanan a failure as president? Defend your answer.
- Why were the Border States so important to Lincoln in reuniting the nation?
- What advantages did each side have at the beginning of the war?
- “If the North and South had exchanged presidents, the South would have achieved its independence.” Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Explain.
- “Abraham Lincoln should have been impeached for his violation of civil liberties during the war.” Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Explain.
- What mistakes did Andrew Johnson make in dealing with the Radical Republicans?
- How did the Radical Republicans take control of Reconstruction?
- Did Andrew Johnson deserve to be impeached? Explain why or why not.
- Was Ulysses Grant a failure as president? Explain.
- Was Samuel Tilden cheated out of the presidency in 1876? Explain why or why not.